Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Last Night

Thank you so much for coming last night! I am so excited about the group we have. I can't stop telling people about y'all. We are going to have some fun. Each of you are going to be able to contribute in great ways and we are going to tackle this thing together. I love the intimacy of our group.

Please let me know if you have any questions as you embark on your first week of homework, especially you first timers. I know this is cliche, but there is no stupid question.

Thanks Cassi for your comment! I wanted to share with you real quickly the two challenges I presented last night that might help balance your time a little. We definitely talked some about how we are each might be struggling with the stage in our lives, rather that be babies, college, planning a wedding, job stuff, to find enough time to complete the amount of homework that Kay Arthur has placed before us.

The first challenge or goal is to try to get up earlier than we normally would to do the homework. For me, that really is the only way I can get it done. I've never gotten up early in my life to do my quiet time and I've always struggled, until this summer when I realized that was the only time for me. But that could be night time for somebody else. We just need to try to find the balance to get it all done.

The second challenge is to memorize the first chapter of Genesis. The study focuses 90% of it on that chapter. I think it would be highly beneficial for many reasons for us to commit this Word to memory. I have a memorization schedule I'll give you next week. Plus some fancy schmanzy flash cards. :-)

Love y'all and I will be praying for you this week.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay... so I know I am not part of your group, but I may un-officially join just to get in on the conversation! We are doing a study at our church right now and it is Rick Warren's 40 Days of Community.

So glad to see other Christian sista's on the net! : )

Little Steps Of Faith said...

Janelle,

I am not in your group either, kinda tough being I am in FL lol,
but I am taking Disciple One, so I am in Genesis right now, how exactly are you memorizing everything? It would be a great help to me, I am in this until the end of the bible, which is May.

Going deeper is the goal:)

Thanks girlie,
Be Blessed:)

Angie

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

Hey Janelle,

This study is great! I have already learned so many new things just from sitting down and really noticing some things I have just merrily read over in past readings of Genesis.

What do you think about the Tree of Life? What an interesting little tree we have here... In Gen. 3:22, God says "Behold the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever--" Then God stops. It's like He doesn't even want to think about the implications of Adam and Eve eating from the tree of life. This is a powerful tree. Hmmm.

Also, I was noticing how much Genesis, at least the first 3 chapters, is written like a fairy tale or a fable. Don't jump to the conclusion that I have found Genesis fictional; I haven't. I know everything in creation really happened. The writing style is like a "why things are the way they are" story, mixed with a fantasy/fairy tale element. It's very interesting, and feels a little more mysterious and magical this time around.

Just some of my thoughts. Genesis is super!!!

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

Hey Janelle,

Just an interesting "coincidence." Tuesday night after I got home from bible study, Alberto and I watched a movie called "The Fountain", and it was about a man who has become obsessed with finding the hidden Tree of Life. Cool, huh?!

Julie Your Super Friend

MamaCass said...

Julie,

I have watched the Fountain and it was very interesting. That verse about the tree of life really stuck out to me. I definitely felt that God was saying something important with that verse but I don't know what. Could the tree in some symbolic way refer to Christ? He is the One who brings Life-abundant and eternal. It seems that God is saying that man Needs the Tree of Life to live forever but then he stops abruptly. Maybe because it was not time for that part of the story. Maybe God is hinting at our need for a saviour-the saviour who will give us LIFE. I don't know. Just some crazy thoughts running through my head.

Julie and Alberto Robles said...

That is an interesting thought, Cassi. Of the tree of life being figurative or as a manifestation of Christ. Just as in the Fountain, the Tree of Life took many forms, in each of the stories he was looking for eternal life in different forms. Hmmm... interesting. I hope to see you at this week's study, Cassi. Much love!